Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Unearthed Arcana: Draconic Options

There's a new UA out today, "Draconic Options".  It includes alternate versions of the Dragonborn and Kobold races, as well as some new dragon-themed feats and spells.

Overall, I like it.  It splits the Dragonborn race between Metallic, Chromatic, and Gem.  Chromatics get a power that lets them make themselves temporarily immune to certain damage types.  Metallics get a second breath weapon.  Gems get telepathy and spectral wings.  

Kobolds get one of three "Draconic Legacy" abilities, and a roar ability.  I like the new Kobolds better than the previous one; in fact, I might even consider playing a kobold now.  (It's still pretty low on my list, though.)  

One of the spells is named after a Dragonlance character, giving hope to those who have been waiting for a 5e DL campaign setting.  

I do wish they let Dragonborn players pick whether their breath weapon is a line or a cone.  As it is, Chromatic Dragonborn get lines, while Metallic and Gem get cones.  I really don't think it would break anything if the player could choose line or cone every time they use the power.  It's not a big quibble, it just seems like the kind of thing that Dragonborn would learn through practice (like learning to whistle), rather than determined by the type of their scales.

I don't have much else to say about it, but I'm a big fan of the Dragonborn race, so I might use some of these options in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment