Saturday, July 15, 2017

OAWYM: Monky Business

Game Date: 7/15/2017
Location: The Game Keep
Campaign: OAWYM, Session 34
Module: Scourge of the Slave Lords
System: D&D 5e
DM: Rusty

The Party:
Halfbeard (Cliff) - Dwarf Fighter
Meece (Daniel) - Goblin Arcane Archer
Ulmack (Gary) - Halfling Monk
Val Ravensword (Matt) - Half-Orc Paladin

The Session:
After winning last week's epic battle, we took an extended rest.  During Val's watch, she became aware of a goblin trying to get into her backpack.  A few threats followed, but the goblin promised to help us get into the city, so we let him live.  And so Meece joined the party.

During the trek towards town, we saw some stone giants mining rocks, but we gave them a wide berth and avoided the fight. The next day we reached the city.  We entered through a sewer grate, and Meece led us though the tunnels.  Eventually we exited through a manhole cover.  We paid a beggar for info on places to hide out, and he directed us to the Thieves Quarter.  He also gave us a small ivory carving of a horse head. 

We wandered around town for a while, went into a few taverns, and finally found an inn with a sign that looked similar to our horse carving.  We asked the manager a lot of questions, and we were told to "seek out the knowledge that never dies."  We stayed overnight and bought some clothing.  The next morning we checked out the docks, but there was too much military activity for us to book a private ship.

We kept looking around town, and got spotted by some slavers.  They tried to give us some orders, but we bluffed our way out.  We kept exploring and wound up at a mapmaker's shop.  We told the mapmaker we wanted to get on a boat out of town.  He offered to arrange it in exchange for a side quest.  We need to head to an old monastery, and find a history book.

We left Dame Gold and the rest of the rescued slaves in a safe house, and we traveled to the monastery.  We had to walk up thousands of steps up a mountain until we reached the giant front doors of the building.  We pulled open the doors and entered the front room.  There were four giant pillars in the room, and we soon saw movement coming from them.

We faced several monk wights, and one wraith.  Meece took to the air using his flying boots, and started firing magical arrows from a distance.  Halfbeard used his invisibility to get a good first hit in.  Ulmack did an especially good job of punching multiple targets.  But these undead monks hit hard, and each hit lowered our maximum hit points. 

Val managed to kill the wraith by critting with an OA and adding Divine Smite.  Then she used her Turn the Unholy power to make two of the wights flee out a side door.  Then we kept hacking away, until we finally finished off the remaining wights.  Once the battle was over, Val did some healing while we waited to see if the two fleeing wights were going to return.  They did not.

We ended the session there, trying to decide whether to chase down the wights, explore more rooms, or take a short rest.  Most of us are currently at full health, but our max hp won't be restored until the next long rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment