Saturday, January 7, 2012

Unlikely Heroes: Curing Lycanthropy the Easy Way

Game Date: 1/7/2012
DM: Rusty

The Party:
Dalia Lockwood (Matt): Human Ardent
Durp the Oblivious (Cliff): Half-Elf Bard
Keyanna (Chere): Half-Elf Sorcerer
Marrick (Greg): Dwarf Knight
Starr (Star): Eladrin Paladin
Teddi the StirgeSlayer (Ted):  Dwarf Warlock

The Session:
Last session got interrupted mid-battle, so today we started right in the middle of the action.  We still faced one stirge (attached to Teddi's face), some vines (we thought we could just get away from them and be okay, but they turned out to be ambulatory), and Jevra (our teenage ward turned werewolf).  Things looked pretty bleak for a while, but we finally turned it around.  Teddi got sick of his face hugging foe, so he pulverized the stirge with a Daily power.  Then we concentrated on Jevra, and continued hacking away at her even after she was down, just to make sure she didn't regenerate.  Once we were all free to concentrate on the vines, it didn't take long to finish them off.

This would be a good time to say some kind words in memory of Jevra... but most of our party didn't really know her that well.  The characters who knew her best are all gone now, with Durp being the only long-term party member.  Being a bard, perhaps he could write a touching eulogy once we get back to town.  But for now, we're in a race to find some Druid artifacts before a rival party gets them.

Now that we weren't in danger, we could look around the area more thoroughly.  Last session Marrick found a breastplate.  A closer examination revealed it to be Astral Fire Armor, one of the five Druid items we were sent to find.  That still leaves us a wand, a vial, a staff, and a codex.  We did find a ring, and finally got to study the inscriptions on the stone monoliths.  The writings gave us clues as to where to look for the other artifacts. 

After looking at the inscriptions, we decided to head East.  We considered taking an extended rest before setting out, because we'd used a lot of Dailies, and some of our party members were low on surges.  But time was also an issue here, so we put it off for one more fight.  We marched East for a while, eventually picking up some tracks that might have been our rivals.  The tracks ended in some foliage near the mouth of a cave.  We entered the cave.

The cave split off in a couple of different directions.  As we began to discuss which way to explore first, Teddi wandered off.  Not the slightest bit concerned about his lack of a light source, our mad priest just felt his way along the walls until he entered a large, pitch black chamber.  There he was attacked by a mutant bear and three large bats.  The rest of the party heard the ruckus and came to his aid.

After the battle, we found a chest.  Inside was a wand-shaped depression.  Could it be the wand on our Druid list?  If so, where is it?  Did the rival party get here first and take it?  We took an extended rest in the cave, then headed back to the grove.  Following the clue from another inscription, we headed Southeast.

As we neared our destination, we heard a thumping sound.  Then we reached a large hollow tree.  High up on the tree, there was rod-like object attached to the tree by a rope.  The thumping sound came from the rod hitting the tree as it swayed in the breeze.  Teddie managed to break the rope with an Eldritch blast, but this attracted some enemies.  We now faced three stirges and a large beetle.

The beetle came from inside the tree, and Marrick made sure to keep him there.  Soon our party was split in two:  Our three melee fighters fought the beetle inside the tree, while our three ranged characters fought the stirges outside.  Once the fight was over, we investigated the object Teddi had knocked off the tree.  It was a large leg bone.  Inside the bone was a scroll containing three rituals.  This was the codex on our list.  Two down, three to go.

And that's where we ended the session.

No comments:

Post a Comment