Tuesday, September 3, 2013

30 Day D&D Challenge - Day 1 - How you got started

Note - This post is part of the 30 Day D&D Challenge.

Day 1 - How you got started

I have previously posted a long version of my D&D history here, but to sum up:

I got into D&D late in life.  There were several times in my youth that I almost played it, or sort of played it, and I was always curious about it.  But most of my friends came from religious families that wouldn't let them play, and my brother kept telling me those kinds of games were boring.  In college I got addicted to a MUD, but I still wasn't sure if pencil-and-paper games were for me.  Later I started reading Knights of the Dinner Table, and the table dynamic looked like a lot of fun.

Several years ago I got into a deep depression, and the ability to live another life for a while was very enticing.  I spent a lot of time on NeverWinter Nights roleplay servers, where I could stay in character and think through my characters.  In retrospect it probably wasn't the healthiest thing I could do, but I bet it saved me from suicide.

As I got better, I knew it would help me to make more friends with common interests, so I started looking into finding a PnP group.  I used Pen And Paper Games to help me find a group, and I started playing D&D 4e.


No comments:

Post a Comment